Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Given the rapid, tumultuous, and unprecedented changes in healthcare these days, there are very few things that are as important to a hospital system or integrated delivery network as developing and deploying a sound and forward-thinking strategy.
In this interview we have the amazing good fortune and unusual opportunity of picking the brain of the senior strategy executive for one of the most successful, visionary and pioneering healthcare systems in the world – Geisinger.
Dominic Moffa is a seasoned healthcare executive with a long standing track record of success. He’s also an incredibly humble, generous, practical and fun guy. In this interview he generously shares some of the life lessons and rules of thumb that have contributed to his amazing success, and the success of the organizations he’s been a leader in. It’s clear from his straightforward responses that he not only talks the talk, he walks the walk.
What you’ll learn in this interview includes:
- The primary market forces that Dominic perceives to be strategic challenges for healthcare systems
- The three fundamental building blocks of the Geisinger Strategy
- Dominic’s 3D’s of Strategy Deployment
- How Geisinger is transforming itself – and healthcare – not from the inside out, but from the outside in
- How the ‘hospital of the future’ may actually be much more than a hospital
- The transformative social and community commitments Geisinger is making in its ‘Fresh Food Farmacy’, it’s Genomics initiative, and its Springboard Healthy Scranton Initiative
Toward the end of the interview Dominic shares the best piece of advice he was ever given. Folks – this is not to be missed, as it is certainly one of the best we have heard on this podcast series to date!
As always, I hope you get as much out of this interview as I have!
One final note – I would feel remiss if I didn’t extend a personal message of sincere appreciation to the entire Geisinger organization – for their many years of being leaders in healthcare, but also being generous in sharing the lessons they’ve learned. While it’s apparent, as Mr. Moffa points out in this interview, that their primary focus is to provide outstanding medical care to their patients and the populations they serve; it’s also abundantly clear that they understand, and take seriously, their innovative and pioneering role in helping to advance the American Healthcare System.
Zeev Neuwirth, MD